“Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?
And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not lift up his soul to what is false
and does not swear deceitfully.” – Psalm 24:3-4
What specific triggers or “pressure places” throughout your week can you count on to reveal the true contents of your heart?
For some, it’s getting stuck in rush hour traffic after a long day at the office.
If you have small children, it might be the not-so-simple but oh-so-sanctifying process of getting your family ready and out the door for church on Sundays.
Maybe it’s interacting with a difficult person, the impossible management of an over-packed schedule, or other chronic pressures of life that, over time, can cause an eruption of ugliness – as much as we hate to admit it – from the overflow of what’s really in our hearts.
If you are in Christ, you have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus (1 John 1:7,9). Your sins are forgiven. You are a new creation, with a new heart. When God looks at you, He sees the righteousness of His perfect Son (Ezekiel 36:26-27; 2 Corinthians 5:17, 21; Ephesians 4:24; Romans 4:5). This mercy… this love. Oh, may we never get over such amazing grace!
So where do we go from here?
With all of that good news and new morning mercies – while we live in this world – still the daily battle in the fight against sin remains (Galatians 5:17). We WILL have to deny ourselves today. We WILL have to choose to take up our cross and follow Him (Matthew 16:24). With our identity secure in Christ, let’s stay on top of purity “heart checks” as we grow in Him. Glory to God, we’re not left to do this on our own. The same God who saves us, empowers us by His Spirit to be transformed more and more into His image (Romans 12:2).
Are you desperate for a fresh start? You’re not alone.
Today, by the power of Christ in us, let’s decide to pursue a pure heart with everything we’ve got. We won’t hit the mark perfectly, but we can pursue it passionately as we walk confidently in His grace. It starts with a willingness to surrender – not my will but Yours, Jesus (Proverbs 3:5-6).
Here are five prayers you can pray (and verses you can memorize!) as you seek to grow in purity of heart this week:
- Search me; Lead me: “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” – Psalm 139:23-24
- Draw me close; Cleanse me: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” – James 4:8
- Help me to guard my heart: “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.” – Psalm 119:9; “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”– Proverbs 4:23
- Help me to delight in truth; Teach me wisdom: “Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.” – Psalm 51:6
- Help me to love like You: “Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from a pure heart.” – 1 Peter 1:22
This week I’m going to write one of these verses down on a note card, and place it in one of my “pressure places.” Want to join me? Share in the comments your verse selection and “pressure placement,” and let’s fight the good fight together!
At His Feet,
Did you know when you purchase a Love God Greatly journal you are helping us: 1. Create more ongoing Bible studies. 2. Allow us to generously give God’s Word away around the world, equipping women, small churches and ministries who would otherwise not be able to afford these valuable Bible studies.
THANK YOU for your partnership and support! TOGETHER we are helping to change the world…one Bible study, one translation, one woman at a time! Grab your new journal today in our online store! Looking for our online Bible study group to join? You can find our Love God Greatly Online Bible Study group here!